Thursday, April 18, 2013

Blog #5

Flannery O'Connor was an American fiction writer, who wrote the short story, "Good Country People." A summary of the story:

A woman takes in a mother and daughter to live at her house. The daughter is disabled and wears a prosthetic leg. She is a very miserable person. She is coaxed into going out with a travel bible salesman, where she plans to seduce him. In a turn of events, he ends up stealing her wooden leg and leaves her stranded in the loft of a barn.

You can read more about her disabilities, which aren't viewed in a normal sense of pity, in a blog here.

I feel like I can relate to this story, not because of the disabilities, but because of the trust message that the story gives us. People are put into our lives daily that should be a "trusting" person when a lot of times they aren't. Just as in the story, a person automatically assumes that a Bible salesman is someone that they can trust. But the story proved that he wasn't when he stole Hulga's leg.

This isn't to say that every Bible salesman is going to steal from you, but the point is that not everyone is who they say they are. I've been saying this for years. I am sometimes called a skeptic because I trust no one until they prove to me they can be trusted. Sometimes I think that this skepticism is a matter of past experiences that have left an impression on me.

Another author that we read some of their work was Jack Kerouac. For me, I hated reading his story because of the way that he writes. His sentences go on and on and on without punctuation. Which for me, is very hard to read and it is something that I am just not accustomed to.

Jack is famous for starting the "Beat movement" during the 50's, which emphasized on drugs, sex and jazz. When he wrote his famous writing, On the Road, which he wrote in 3 weeks about his 7 years on the road, it became what the young people that were following the Beat movement lived by. He was featured on The Steve Allen show with his book.



No comments:

Post a Comment